Fire Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
It is important to SERVPRO of Torrance that our customers know what to do when waiting for help to arrive following fire damage. Experiencing a fire is dangerous, and it is our goal to keep everyone involved safe in every step of the process. Not everyday is one struck with the burden of fire damage, that is why we are here to give you tips on what and what not do when confronted with such a situation. No need to worry, because SERVPRO will be there in a hurry!
Click Here to learn even more about fire and smoke damage.
Have Smoke or Fire Damage? Call (310) 320-2112
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.