Preparing for a Storm: What and What no to do
As the climate of the Earth is shifting, the seasons bring many surprises that leave disastrous endings. One of those being storms in the winter and spring. Harsh rain and hail come falling from the sky, flooding the roads and breaking the windows. No one can stop it, so all we can do is prepare ourselves as best we can to remain safe and stress free. So, how does one prepare for a storm like that? Well, here are some tips…
- Obviously, have a set insurance plan to cover you and your property in the event of a disaster. This goes for any disaster, not just storm damage.
- One thing that may never cross your mind in the aching hot summer are your rain gutters. If trees are above your property, the leaves and twigs can fall in them and birds may create nests in them. Also in some cases, bees will form hives in the rain gutters or rodents will damage them. It is best to check your rain gutters to make sure they will be able to withstand some heavy rain to protect your home from any water damage. Purchase a filter like contraption called a downspout cover to prevent any leaves or critters from getting in your rain gutters.
- While you’re checking the gutters, might as well take a glance at the roof to make sure none of it is exposed. Any missing tiles? Any holes? If so, call a company like us, SERVPRO, to fix your roof to be storm ready.
- Make sure all of the windows and doors in your home have proper sealing so that no water can seep in through the cracks.
- Know where the gas and powerlines are to your home so if any flooding does occur you are able to access the control panels and shut them off. This component can be the biggest threat to your property in the event of a flood.
Take these few tips and your home can be in better shape to withstand a storm and recover with little damage. Have any more questions? Call our 24-hour service line and we’d be glad to answer.